Roy Kennedy is the owner and founder of the Black Amber hair salon chain, with branches in Dublin and Wexford. Coming from a family of reputable hair dressers, it was always Roy’s ambition to develop his own brand. In 2008, He took over a small salon in Rathfarnham, Dublin where one of his primary initiatives was to introduce the exclusive L’Oreal colour range to the salon. He also added to his team of expert stylists and, before long, the business was selected as a Kerastase and Redken brand stockist.
“As the client list grew, we opened a second branch in Templeogue, Dublin to keep up with demand. The team also expanded significantly, with the addition of some of the top stylists in the country. We are educators in our field and we are constantly upskilling and adding to our already extensive knowledge and ability to provide clients with the best service possible – both in salon and during call outs.”
“By 2015, Black Amber’s reputation had spread beyond Dublin and we launched our newest salon in Gorey, Co. Wexford. The team has now grown to 34 skilled stylists with experience in every aspect of hair. From the latest technique in hair colouring to a specialist extension team (Gold Fever hair extensions) and a specialist bridal squad, we aim to deliver and exceed client expectations each and every time.”
Carolann, one of Black Amber’s bridal stylists, has given us some tips and tricks for brides who are starting to plan their wedding hair styles:
– Start preparing your hair a year before the wedding to get your hair into the best possible condition for the day. If you have colour, have a hair plan with your colourist so your it’s absolutely perfect for the big day.
– Start your home care regime at least 6 months before by using shampoos and conditioners recommended to you by your stylist.
– Visit the salon every 6-8 weeks for regular trims to encourage hair growth. Avoid layers until you’ve fully decided on the style. Layers may not suit what you want on the day.
– Have a consultation with your stylist once you have your dress and desired hair style in mind. Always have a trial so you know whether the hair suits you or not. The trial will also give you an idea of whether you will need extra hair pieces/extensions or not.
– If you do need extensions, ALWAYS have a trial with them in to ensure they are the right ones and a perfect colour match if they are clip ins. If they are bonded extensions, make sure you get them a few weeks before so they have time to settle into your hair and you get used to them.
– Choosing a style to suit you is very important but it always comes down to what you want.
Try not to be too influenced by bridesmaids or friends as this sometimes ends with brides not being 100% happy on the day.
– Always check with your stylist when your hair needs to be shampooed – the night before or morning of the wedding – to ensure there are no delays on the day.
TOP TIP: STAY CALM
Your hairstylist will know exactly what you want by the time the day comes. After getting to know your hair and having had at least one consultation and trial, your stylist will be 100% confident and sure of how your hair will be on the day. You have no reason to panic. If you want to tweak things on the day, that’s no problem. Just remember to stay calm. Your stylist will have your hair looking PERFECT.
There you have some key tips from the experts! Have you thought about what style you’d like for your wedding day? Up or down?? Let us know!