Born in Co. Kildare, Derrick Carberry is one of Ireland’s most sought-after Make-up artists. Having started his career working as a lab technician for Intel Corporation, a chance encounter with a well known make-up artist inspired Derrick to pursue another vocation. His innate talent for the job was understood once Derrick began assisting in fashion shows and magazine shoots and ultimately led to Derrick being introduced to the M.A.C. Cosmetics team in Dublin. He then starting working out of their Brown Thomas store for the next 6 years.
Derrick always adds a very special and unique touch and always produces beautiful results.Derrick’s extensive client list is a testimony to his work. Over his 11-year career, Derrick has proven his versatility and creativity, working with a variety of clients from the worlds of television, film, magazines and weddings.
Derrick, a real makeup genius, was kind enough to spoil us with some tips for organising and preparing for having your makeup done on your wedding day:
1. Pre-book your makeup artist of choice well in advance of your wedding day to avoid disappointment – at least a year before the wedding date.
2. Do a trial with your makeup artist. Bring a picture of how you do your own makeup as well as a makeup reference from a look you have seen on line or in a magazine that you like.
3. At the makeup trial get, the makeup artist to recommend what touch-up products you will need on the day of your wedding (powder, lipstick & gloss and perhaps oil-control blotting paper in case you perspire a lot or are getting married abroad in the heat).
4. False tan: It’s very important, if you are going to get a spray tan done, you have tried out a few different brands to find out what works best for your skin.
5. Facials: Make sure when getting spa treatments that they are done well in advance of your wedding day. You don’t want to be in a situation where you have a break-out close to the big day or try out new skin care products and have a reaction to them.
6. Lash tints: Again, trial this well before your wedding day in case you have a reaction to the tint.